Thursday, December 24, 2009

Heirlooms

In the last few weeks, we have been fortunate enough to receive a couple special items from family. The first, being Eddy the Elephant:


Eddy was a gift to my Grandma Gail from her daddy for her 4th birthday back in 1930. It was during the Depression, and my Great Grandpa wanted to buy it for her, and my Great Grandma was upset at him for spending the money. My Grandma gave him the name Eddy the Elephant, and used to hold him by his trunk, and being only four, his feet used to drag on the ground (as you can see from his "scars"). She has been carrying him around for nearly 80 years now, and when I was up there visiting at the beginning of this month, she told me she wanted me to have him for Gracie if I wanted. I was so excited to bring him home and put him in her room. He used to play music, and one day, I would like to find a place where I could see if the music box inside him could be restored, I would love to hear what song he played that my Grandma Gail listened to so very long ago.





The second special item we have been given was this cradle. My dad made this cradle 28 years ago for my oldest cousin, Erin, before she was born. She and my Uncle Rick and Aunt Nan enjoyed it while she was a baby, and then held on to it all these years. I have one too, but it's up in Washington at my dad's, waiting to be enjoyed by Gracie when we go to visit. So I received a call from mu Uncle Rick a few weeks ago asking if we would like to use Erin's cradle, and especially since my dad made it, I was delighted. Uncle Rick got it out and spent a lot of time getting it back to the condition it was in when it was enjoyed by his baby girl. We took a drive to Chico a couple weeks ago to pick it up, and now it is in our room waiting for the baby who will occupy it in just 3 more months.

We are so blessed to be surrounded by things that have stories and memories.

No comments:

Post a Comment